Grain Barge is a converted barge moored in Hotwells with amazing views of Bristol harbour. As well as our main bar, we have outdoor space on the top deck, as well as space for events and private hire in the Hold Bar. We serve sustainably sourced seafood and veg dishes that use ingredients from our own farm in Backwell and other local suppliers, alongside craft beer + cider, cocktails, wines, spirits and hot drinks.
We are looking for chefs with a flair for creating interesting and inspiring seafood, vegan and vegetarian dishes in a modern and classic way to suit an informal restaurant bar. We serve delicious, honest, home-made food with bold flavours that celebrating the best seasonal produce from local suppliers, including our very own Five Acre Farm in Backwell. At Grain Barge, everything is made on board including breads, desserts, ferments, sauces and our signature fries.
Here in our independently owned venues, we want to give young enthusiastic chefs the opportunity to shine, to be creative and to bring ideas to our kitchen. We’re looking for people to inspire us. We want you to help us develop our menus, keep our regular customers coming back and entice new customers in.
We value our staff and know how important your job satisfaction is to our success. Flexible working hours and days are available for the right people to help us achieve our ambition.
We are looking for the right person to be the captain of our small friendly kitchen team at Grain Barge. The ideal candidate will be passionate, friendly, energetic and calm, and will play a key part in the development of our business.
Key responsibilities for the Head Chef are:
• Have the skills to manage, inspire and train a small team of kitchen staff.
• To be highly organized and a good communicator.
• Having the ability to be able to think on their feet and stay calm under pressure.
• Creating mouth-watering seasonal menus
• Managing and developing small team of kitchen staff
• Overseeing cleaning and stock-rotation
• Recruitment of kitchen staff & managing wage percentage
• Stock control / GPs and Wage% control
• Working to high standards of cleanliness
• You must have at least 2 years experience as a Sous Chef, a friendly approach and a real passion for cooking.
We are looking to recruit a Sous Chef to assist our Head Chef and small friendly kitchen team at Grain Barge. The ideal candidate will be passionate, friendly, energetic and calm, and will play a key part in the development of our business.
Key responsibilities for the Sous Chef are:
• To run the kitchen in the absence of the head chef and will work with our Head Chef to ensure consistently high standards by adhering to the company specifications and procedures.
• Provide a consistently high level of service and product delivery.
• Co-ordinate, plan, participate and supervise production, preparation and presentation of meals.
• Responsible for working on all sections of the kitchen as required.
• Help the Head Chef to develop new dishes and menus. Keep up to date with new products, menus and promotions.
• Plan and allocate jobs to junior staff, ensuring that all items produced are according to standard recipes, portion yields and within agreed time limits and minimum wastage.
• Assist with the training, development and motivation of junior staff.
• Be fluent in HACCP procedures and assist in due diligence.
• Work in co-operation with other departments, especially the food service department.
• You must have at least 1-year experience as a Sous Chef or minimum of 2 years as a CDP, a friendly approach and a real passion for cooking. You have to be an ambitious and enthusiastic Chef with a real desire to progress.
We offer you:
• Competitive salary – depending on experience
• An average 48 hr working week and flexible shifts
• 28 days holiday per year
• Overtime compensation
• Expanding company with opportunity for advancement and progression
• Training and cross training in other areas in our restaurants and farm (training is tailored to the individual)
• Working with fresh food and produce from our farm
• Free meals on duty
• Fantastic working conditions, friendly and fun working environment, with a supportive team
• Team benefit scheme across all of our venues
• Ethically and environmentally aware employer – We are members of the Sustainable Restaurant Association, a community of businesses working towards an environmentally restorative and socially progressive UK hospitality sector.
• Access to Hospitality Action’s Employee Assistance Programme for free, confidential help and advice when you are facing problems, difficulties or challenges relating to your home or working life.
• Regular performance appraisals
Coming out of the pandemic we are working towards becoming a Real Living Wage employer. This is a major challenge in an industry in which so few are signed up to the Living Wage Foundation – however we believe it is the right thing to do and a big step towards professionalising our industry.
We’re committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
Please send your CV and tell us why you are interested in working with us, and which role you are applying for – email@example.com